Injury Lawyers Since 1984

Injured in Public Transport. How to Get Fair Compensation

Oct 16, 2020 | Car Accidents

Moussa Sabzehghabaei

Personal Injury Lawyer

In this section, we will go over what to do when injured in a public transit vehicle. We will highlight some of the forms of compensation that you may qualify for depending on your insurance policy and extent of injuries.

Injured in Public Transport? How to Get Fair Compensation

Toronto is one of the regions that offer some of the most reliable public transportation in the world. In fact, in the GTA, public transport is considered one of the safest modes of transportation. However, accidents involving public transportation still happen, and when they do, the injured victims should be fairly compensated for all losses incurred.

Common Public Transport Injuries

Forget the more serious train and subway crashes, public transport injuries that involve streetcars and buses are the most common in Toronto. Most of these incidents are considered minor but there are some that cause serious injuries. If you were injured in a bus or streetcar due to sudden braking, swerving or any other actions that were taken by the public transport driver to avoid a collision, you need to seek legal help. Other common incidents such as slip and falls or accidents that involve public transit equipment can still cause injuries.

Whether the injuries you sustain are from a collision or any other incident involving public transport, you can get compensated. It’s important to seek legal advice even if your injuries aren’t as serious or mundane. Legal matters involving public transportation can be extremely complicated. To ensure the best results, you need qualified lawyers by your side who will ensure that you get fair and full compensation.

What to Expect in a Personal Injury Claim Involving Public Transportation

If you were involved in a collision that involved your own car and a public transit vehicle, you may qualify for Ontario’s Statutory Accident Benefits (SABS). These benefits will typically be available to you under your own car insurance cover. SABS will cover medical and rehabilitation costs, income replacement costs as well as attendant care and other expenses.  On the other hand, if you were injured in the public transit vehicle as a passenger and you possess no insurance, you can file a claim against the public transit agency and/or its insurer. 

With the help of a lawyer, you can easily navigate the claims process and get the SABS compensation you deserve. Your lawyer will work with medical experts to uncover the extent of your injuries and understand all costs involved in order to get fair compensation for all damages. You may qualify for additional compensation if:

  • The transit driver is found to have been negligent or driving dangerously, therefore, causing the accident
  • Another motorist caused or contributed to the accident
  • The public transit vehicle was not properly maintained
  • A defective public transit equipment caused or contributed to the accident
  • The public transit driver or operator was drunk or impaired
  • The public transit driver was unlicensed or undertrained

If involved in an accident, consult an experienced lawyer who will help you navigate through the details of the case and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.

You will not pay any fees until your case is won or settled

Get a Free Consultation

  • Car Accident
  • Slip and Fall
  • Catastrophic Injuries
  • Disability Claim